Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I'm Back


Hat tip to Russ at Adirondack.

It's been awhile since I've posted. Main reason is there hasn't been any issue to really piss me off enough to gripe about that other bloggers weren't screaming about. Here's a couple of thoughts and what set me off.


  • I'm waiting to speak on the health care issue until they actually have a plan to say something about. My position is a little of trying to have your cake and eat it too. I have a good health plan, but I don't want it taxed to pay for a public plan. There will be no real reform without a public option, but the public option is doomed if private insurance is taxed to pay for it. Talk about the perfect set-up by the Insurance industry to kill any reform but to make it a no win scenario.

  • What's with air-headed, don't care about history, but I want to talk politics Meghan McCain on Bill Maher? That's the result of the best education money can buy? Those who want to trash public education have no room to talk. She could star on Jay Leno's Jaywalking!

The issue that really stirred up my indignation I found here.

If you studied the anti-war movement in the sixties it was started and in part led by college professors. Surprisingly because they had actually read the constitution and understood that only Congress has the right to declare war. The military-industrial complex that Eisenhower warned us about learned a few things from this time period.

First and foremost -- if you're going to fight a long undeclared war thousands of miles away don't fight it with the draft. Do you think we'd still be in Iraq or Afghanistan with a draft system?

Second the use of mercenaries for the most dangerous assignments like driving the lead truck in a column. They don't get counted in the casualty reports so there's an under reported death toll.

Thirdly silence all opposition. That's what they've worked on pretty effectively. Any anti-war demonstrations have been played up by the lap-dog media as aging hippy nutcases. Colleges have been silenced by the amount of money and research grants. Any professors wanting to stir up ant-war feelings get squashed by the administration toot sweet. But now that's not enough.

Der Decider set up a program where spooks in training cut their teeth in our college classrooms. It was a pilot program that is now going to be fully implemented by Obama. Can anyone remind me why I voted for him? Read the article. It is the death knell of academic freedom in this country.

No comments: