Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Publishing up a storm





These are my two short stories I've published since finding out how easy it is to get an e-book or story out there. Both are at Amazon for the Kindle as well as Optimus:Praetorian Guard.

Optimus sells for 9.99 while the two short stories go for .99 each. You can download Barnes & Nobles Nook format to your pc, ipad, iphone or android for free and be able to read all their e-books. Four free books come with the download and four magazines. So if you've never read Bram Stoker's Dracula or Louisa May Alcott's Little Women its not a bad deal.

I discovered smashwords.com where they make you format the story along pretty strict guidlines totally different from the publishing format that's been in use for print, but you can set your own price and they convert it into the Kindle, Nook, Sony and other formats so anyone can buy the book from them and read it on their reading device or pc. An interesting feature is that they let you read the first three pages of the book or story before you buy it to see if you'll like it.

For a couple of years before I retired to work on my descriptive abilities I'd find a picture that I liked on Playboy's Cyber Club and write a description of it, that turned into writing a flash story to make it interesting. I then posted them on the message board that comes with the membership and got some good feedback. Both of these short stories started this way I expanded them from a couple of hundred words to six and seven thousand words. I'm editing, revising and expanding the others and plan to publish them soon.










No comments: